I hope everyone is doing well and had a great 3 day weekend with the kids! Writing with a few quick updates on budget, important upcoming events and two schedule changes for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors meetings:
- Budget – site leaders have started meeting with their staff and site councils/parent groups to share their campus’ survey results and initial budget priorities for next year. Those meetings will continue this week and next – please come if you can – it’s a great chance to see what’s in the works for next year. I want to reiterate that we are in a very tight budget situation for this current year (through 6/30/15). This is largely due to lower than budgeted fundraising returns and potential overages in facilities costs. The financial outlook for next year and beyond looks positive and far more sustainable due to both an increase in state funding and streamlined operations. But, there is a real short term need for the Larchmont community’s support. Here’s how you can help now:
- Pledge if you haven’t already and more if you can http://larchmont.mycharterschool.org/com_cpd/homepage
- Bring in DONATIONS for our Silent Auction. Donations are due May 1st
- Come out and support the upcoming LCS Carnival on Saturday, May 9th
- Buy tickets to the 10th Anniversary Gala on Friday, May 15th http://gala-larchmontcharter.nationbuilder.com/
- Get ready for Music Night on Thursday, June 4th
- Thank you so much to everyone in our community for your collective advocacy! The LFP encampment was cleaned up on Thursday and George and Felix on our staff along with Ana Gomez from Councilman Cedillo’s office barricaded around the trees in advance of them being trimmed over the next two weeks (thank you to Daphne and the Board of Public Works) and Big Sunday (thank you to Melissa on our board) coming to do a beautification of the area with planter boxes and more!
- Thanks to all who made the HS BBQ fundraiser last week possible including our incredible cooks and volunteers and all of you who came from all the campuses – it was a huge success with the Korean BBQ selling out in under an hour with 50% more people coming than expected!
- The science fair at Selma was AMAZING!!! Hearing 4th-8th graders excitedly and articulately explain the fascinating projects they did showcased the amazing work of our teachers and our model in action – inquiry based hands on learning!
- The poetry slam (rehearsal) at the high school that I caught just a glimpse of was a hugely impressive display of our kids’ passion, poise and talent.
- As part of planning for next year, the site leaders and I have been reflecting on what staff has shared as a priority in terms of finding more time to collaborate and plan (within and across campuses). To facilitate more of this we’re looking at possibly introducing a weekly early release day into the schedule. We would be sure there would be rich after school programming offerings on those days to mitigate the impact to families needing childcare. You will likely be hearing about this in the site leader meetings so feel free to share your thoughts.
- The Finance Committee meeting scheduled for tomorrow night has been rescheduled for Tuesday, May 5th at 7:00 PM at the Hollygrove Campus, 815 N. El Centro Ave LA, CA 90038.
- The LCS Board of Directors meeting scheduled for Tuesday, May 5th has been moved to Tuesday, May 12th at 6:30 PM at the La Fayette Park Campus Assembly Room, 2801 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90057.
Thanks for all you do to make Larchmont possible!