FROM YOUR SCHOOL LEADER
Dear Larchmont Fairfax Families:
Happy New Year! Wishing you all a healthy, happy, and successful 2019 from all of us at Larchmont Fairfax! We'd like to take a moment to thank the entire community for your generosity with the amazing cards, gifts, and treats we received the last day of school - it made our winter break so special!
Please remember that school resumes this MONDAY, January 7th - we look forward to seeing everyone back and ready to delve into our next trimester.
A few items on the horizon to kick off this new year that we're happy to share with everyone - -
- Please join us in welcoming our new gardening teacher, Grace Martinelli.Grace attended the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and went on to obtain a horticulture degree from the School of Professional Horticulture at the New York Botanical Garden. She is a longtime gardening teacher and has previously taught at the Asia Pacific International School and Haiku Elementary School in beautiful Hawaii. During her time in these positions she has designed and created raised edible classroom gardens, worked on the growth and harvest of kitchen greens, and developed an extensive garden curriculum incorporating math, science and reading. We're very excited to have such a gardening aficionado joining our Larchmont team and look forward to having you all meet her very soon.
This Thursday, January 10th, a team of researchers from Teacher's College at Columbia University will come to observe classrooms at Larchmont campuses, including the Fairfax campus. This is part of an ongoing project Larchmont has been involved in which is funded by the Walton Family Foundation and is the first-ever study of outcomes and implementation strategies in Diverse by Design charter schools. The team will visit classrooms to look at how strategies for mixing diverse students look in action. Essentially, we'll learn much more about how successful integration practices are across our Larchmont schools. Study findings will be reported out later in 2019. This is especially exciting given the work of our very own Diversity and Inclusion Committee, who, as we speak, are handing out newly designed brochures about Larchmont before our February lottery. If you can help spread the word, please pick up a brochure - they're located just next to the main office.
- We're so pleased that for the first few months of this school year our attendance rates have been very strong at above 98%. Let's keep this up by ensuring that students come to school each day and that they arrive to school on time. If your child is unable to attend for any reason, please remember to request an Independent Study by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It's FINALLY time for the pledge drive ice cream party this Friday!! If you have some time to help come and scoop ice cream for our 242 students that afternoon, we'd love your help. Please contact Stephen Matloff at email@example.com for details.
- Finally, I'm sure everyone has kept abreast of the potential LAUSD strike which is scheduled to take place beginning January 10th. As mentioned in Amy Held's email just prior to break, all Larchmont campuses will remain open and instruction will not be interrupted. We'll keep you posted on further details about this.
As always, please contact us with any questions or comments.
We look forward to seeing you all this Monday!
Andi and Mersedeh
2018-2019 Calendar Revision: Please note that March 6, 2019 will now be the all day Professional Development Day where students are NOT in school. This is a change of date from March 13, 2019 which will now be a regular school day. If you have any questions, please contact your office staff. You can download the updated 2018/19 school calendar HERE.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR MESSAGE
Just a few more days until winter break! Our Tk-4th grade families are having parent teacher conferences – a really special opportunity to connect with the teacher about how your child is doing and how to help him/her thrive. These conferences are particularly powerful in a small school with really strong teachers and a focus on ensuring every student is known. Meanwhile, our 5th-12th grade campuses are working with students and families to ensure students are on track to end the semester strong.
It was so great to see so many folks from all campuses at Harvest Festival & Bake Sale – many thanks to powerhouse Kori Bernards, Marqui Hood, Aliza Miner, Jenny Blakeney, Erica Pitman and the entire team for making it happen. Thanks to Lori Lausche for the LFP Caroling Choir and all the performances across our 4 campuses.
2018 has been an incredible year for Larchmont – from amazing signature projects and community events, to rising test scores, to receiving sizable grants from Walton, Parsons and GPSN, to purchasing LFP. It’s an exciting time in the development of our school and the horizon looks bright. As the year draws to a close and you may be thinking about year-end giving please keep Larchmont in mind - http://www.larchmontcharter.org/lcs_pledge_drive (all gifts are tax deductible and go directly to support the campuses). The strategic planning process will be finishing up in January and the facilities master plan right behind that. We look forward to updating you on those and getting your input and feedback early in the New Year. Wishing you all a fabulous couple of weeks to relax and have fun with family and friends and rejuvenate for a great 2019!
SAVE THE DATE - SUNDAY FEBRUARY 24, 2019 for our annual HEART SMART CHALLENGE. This is an opportunity for all students to promote fitness, bond with their peers, and raise money for our school. Coaches Allen and Keith will be helping the kids meet their physical goals to you can help them to meet their fundraising goals by getting started over the winter break with these EASY steps below:
This year we are excited to announce the return of the PER LAPdonation. Yay! That means that friends and family can donate a certain amount for every lap your child runs. So let’s set some goals and see how far we can go! (Cue “Chariots of Fire” theme.)
EASY NEXT STEPS
#1 REGISTER - It takes only 5 min to set up your childs’ personal fundraising page that you can send to friends and family for support during the holidays. Use this link to register and set up your page: http://www.larchmontcharter.org/heartsmart
#2 JOIN YOUR TEAM - Find your child's teacher and join their team!
#3 SHARE – Send your page link out to your family and friends, post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Create a video and post it. Add a picture and post it. The social media aspect of this event makes it even easier to raise money for our school!
1. This is a reminder that ALL families must have their carpool placard displayed when picking students up | 이것은 학생들을 태울 때 모든 가족들이 카풀 플래 카드를 보여 주어야한다는 것을 상기시켜줍니다 |Este es un recordatorio de que TODAS las familias deben tener su cartel de viaje compartido al recoger a los estudiantes
This is a student safety measure and a way of maintaining a smoother carpool flow each day. If you've lost your placard, please email Tess Trillo or Mari Worden for a new placard.
Cars without placards will be required to park and walk inside for pick-ups (NO EXCEPTIONS). Thank you.
현수막이없는 자동차는 픽업을 위해 주차하고 내부를 들어야합니다. 고맙습니다.
Los autos sin carteles deberán estacionarse y caminar adentro para recogerlos. Gracias.
2. Remember, NO LEFT TURNS INTO OR OUT OF THE PARKING LOT! Please help keep our students and families safe at all times.
JANUARY LUNCH MENU
Please click here for the JANUARY LUNCH MENU.
A huge congratulations to Larchmont FFX After School Director and Instructional Aide, Marcella Sanchez, on the birth of her baby girl.
Alexandria Kelis Badillo was born on December 20th just in time for the holidays (photo attached). We want to wish Marcella and her whole family best wishes on the new bundle of joy!
SITE COUNCIL MEETING
Please join us for our next Site Council meeting this Thursday at 3 pm in Room 4.